Sunday, October 6, 2013

My First Chalk-Paint Project!

Old Furniture Made Fabulous!

Disclaimer: I am totally new to this whole refinishing furniture thing, blogging, and DIY world but I am loving the learning process! 

I knew I wanted to use as many pieces of furniture and accessories found at the farm as possible. I knew that in order to do that and feel like it matched our style, I would be doing a lot of painting! 


  Was I a little worried to tackle this project?

To be honest, YES! But I am trying my best to stop worrying over every little thing (like I've always done) and just go for it!  
I've always been one to experiment with my artistic approach when working on canvas, paper, and with fine art media, but it is a whole different story when you're about to experiment on a large piece of furniture, right? No, if you own a good solid piece of furniture that's simply not your style, why not try to paint it if that will potentially transform it into a piece you love? So with that mentality, I decided to do a little research and get started!  

First: My Inspiration 

When first looking up how to best protect my freshly painted china cabinet I came across some great tips on a blog called "Picked and Painted." 

I love the Picked & Painted blog and what she does with furniture gave me the inspiration to try painting and distressing my own piece of furniture! (my hubby even joked that I had developed a crush on this blog! Haha, he's too funny!)

The Process: 


First, I removed the doors and drawers. Then I used painters tape to protect the areas I wanted to leave unpainted. For this piece I've decided to leave the top with the original wood grain to go with the inside of the cabinet.

(This piece is so heavy I could barely move it and therefore I slid plastic drop-cloth under it and painted it right in the room where it will remain!)






  
Prepping the chest by using painters tape and then lightly sanding the wood helped the paint adhere. Then I made my own chalk paint from a recipe I found online; there are different recipes but I used baking soda because that's what I had on hand. After painting several coats (it took at least three thin coats to create an even finish), I used the sandpaper to lightly distress the front and lower edges of the chest, drawers, and doors.





I did not paint the back of the chest because you'll never see this part; however, I did paint to the back edge for a clean side-view. I then rehung the doors and put the drawers in.








Lastly, after the paint had fully dried, I used Johnson's Wax to rub on a protective finish. The fumes were a little stronger than I anticipated but aired out pretty quickly with the windows open.






Thanks for viewing!
Cheers,
Jillian 



No comments:

Post a Comment