I cannot believe that it is already March, 2015!
I suppose time really does fly when you're having fun (or keeping super busy)!
Keeping me busy in 2015:
- Art in the Park: I've been working with an awesome group of artists preparing for Elkader's first annual fine art festival, to be held August 22nd and 23rd in Founders Park! You cannot imagine the amount of time and work involved in planning an art festival. I sure didn't! However, we are having a blast hammering out details, planning fun events, and coordinating what we hope to be Elkader's entertaining, art-filled, cultural experience of 2015! This weekend will not only feature Art in the Park, but will also encompass:
- Rhythm on the River (Friday, Aug 21st)
- A show at the historic Opera House (Saturday evening)
- The third annual Train Expo (Sunday, Aug 23rd)
- Local cuisine
- Canoeing, kayaking, & The Elkader Whitewater Park
- The Elkader Theater
- & more!
Friends and Family from afar...this would be a very exciting weekend to visit Elkader!
Save the Date: August 22-23, 2015
|Official Logo Design by Shannon Dallenbach-Durbin :)|
- Fennellys' Irish Pub: The past few months, I've been picking up a couple of hours serving at the local Irish pub in Elkader. It has been great meeting new faces, trying new things on the menu, and expanding my experience of craft beer! My personal favorites for this month- Wings (chipotle lime bbq, Sweet and Spicy Asian, & Jamaican Jerk!) paired with an Orange Ginger Crabbies ... you gotta try the Crabbies!
|Pictured are some of Tim's delicious famous wings and me tasting one of our local brews from Deb's Brewtopia! |
I'm huge fan of both! Stop into Fennellys' and try some for yourself.
- And of course..Art! Before winter hit, I was out making photographs of the gorgeous fall landscape. Choosing to photograph places that felt spiritual and reverent, places I felt connected to, I drove around the back-roads and took the long way home. The time spent out exploring in solitude was beautiful. I decided to not only make some of these digital photographs available at Willow Creek, I also used these images for winter painting inspiration. Here are a few of my new Iowa-inspired original paintings of 2015 and the photographs that kept me thinking warm throughout the winter.
- In between my bigger projects: I've spent time baking with Faith & Jodi- Soon I will be sharing our coconut cream pie and how we made homemade bread and cinnamon rolls. I've been taking time to read for book club- most recently, Lottery by Patricia Wood, and The Master Butchers Singing Club by Louise Erdrich. Both were fantastic. And yesterday, I managed to sneak in a spa day for myself- a huge thanks to a couple of awesome friends for birthday gift-cards! I was happy to finally use them. Lastly, I've been reminding myself every so often of my New Year's Resolution.
Now that you're all caught up on my winter shenanigans...
I'm proud to say that Zach and I have almost survived our second Iowan winter. I say "almost" because I sure don't want to jinx us. It still amazes us how quickly your body can acclimate to a different climate. Brace yourselves, we actually enjoy the snowy cold winter and hope the novelty doesn't wear off. That being said, we are excited with the rest of our Northeast Iowa neighbors that the forecast is looking a little warmer as spring rolls into the Midwest!
Today it is 15 degrees and SUNNY in Saint Olaf. :)